Monday, December 15, 2008

Chairman's Greer's Politico Op-Ed

Putting the people back in politics

Over the past 25 years I have had the opportunity to view the Republican Party wearing the hat of a small-town city councilman, political fundraiser, and now as chairman of the state party for the fourth largest state in the nation, during the most important presidential election in my lifetime.

Despite this tremendous opportunity, the role from which I have learned the most was not my last two years as chairman, but the years when, like the majority of Americans, I wore the hat of a small business owner, husband, and father of four. It is through the eyes of a businessman – not the party structure – that I became a Republican. I’ve learned that our party draws its strength not from the principles elected officials talk about, but from the values average Americans live by.

Refocusing on these values, putting partisan rhetoric aside, and putting the people back in politics, Republicans can regain our foundation and focus on serving the people. It’s what we do in Florida. It works for us here, and I believe it’s what we need to do in Washington and across the nation.

Read more here.