Monday, January 5, 2009

Speaker Sansom Resigns College Position

In an effort to keep Republicans updated on the news during this week's Special Session, please see Tallahassee Democrat article below.

Sansom Resigns College Job

House Speaker Ray Sansom is resigning his $110,000-a-year job at Northwest Florida State College, he said to open the Legislature's special session this morning.

Sansom, a Destin Republican, has been under fire for $25 million he steered to the college last year when he was budget chief in the House, revelations by the St. Petersburg Time of communications he had with the college's president and secretive meetings that resulted. His new job at the college was announced on the day he assumed the post leading the House in November.

"This has not been an easy decision to make," Sansom said to start off special session, asking members to allow him personal remarks.

...

"Unfortunately, some have disagreed with my decision to work at the college. While I do not question their motives, I strongly object to their conclusions," Sansom said. "In all my years in public service, I have sought to act in a manner worthy of the trust that the people have placed in me."

However,
"I will not and cannot allow any controversy over my position at the college to divert our focus."
House members gave Sansom a standing ovation at the end of his remarks.

Read more here