Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Economic Crisis Silver Lining: Everyday Heroes

Thanks to the House Majority Office for bringing this to our attention:

From Politico--

A town hall gets emotional

The Ft. Myers woman who told Obama she was living in her car with her family has reportedly been offered a home. When Obama called on Henrietta Hughes at a packed town hall in Florida, she told him:

"I have an urgent need. ... We need something more than the vehicle and parks to go to. We need our own kitchen and our own bathroom, please help."

Obama hugged Hughes and kissed her on the cheek and told her to talk to his staff after the town hall meeting.

Now MSNBC reports that Florida Rep. Nick Thompson and his wife offered Hughes their second home, rent free, after hearing about her plight.

"Basically, I offered Ms. Hughes and her son the opportunity to stay in my home rent free, for as long as they need to," said Chene Thompson. "I'm not a millionaire, I'm not rich, but this is what I can do for someone if they need it."