Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Statement from Bill McCollum on Martinez Announcement

Tallahassee–Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum released the following statement:

“I was surprised to learn today that Senator Mel Martinez will not be seeking re-election for his post in 2010. Senator Martinez has served his constituents and our state admirably, and with his decision not to seek another term the people of Florida are losing a dedicated public servant.

“I have been asked today whether this announcement will have any effect on my plans for the future. At this point, my plan is – at the appropriate time – to announce my intention to seek re-election as Florida's Attorney General. However, given today's development, I will seriously consider and discuss with my family a race for this U.S. Senate seat, and we will share our decision at a later date.”